Friday 18 May 2007

Recycling Wool...


Recycling wool...this i have done many times in the past with hand-knitted garments. I un-ravel them, then make them into skeins tie both ends so they hold together and put them in a washing bag or pillowcase then wash to straighten the wool, when dry wind it up loosely into balls and any frayed or worn bits cut off. The wool is ready for use.

When i had several odd un-used balls of wool left over. Using my kitchen scales i weighed different colours of wool and made a couple of cardigans for my kids when they were young, with which ever colours were suitable for either of them. I still have un-used balls of wool left over from years ago. Maybe, i will get round to using them now that i've got the urge to knit again.

I think i will make some crochet cushion covers next as i am in need of new ones and buy some new cushion pads too! I've got a couple of patterns that i've never used before.

I think it is better to hand-knit garments or crochet, because over the years of not knitting or crochet, i've bought my knitted cardis and jumpers and found that they fall apart and go out of shape quickly, when i made them they lasted for years.

Recycling wool costs nothing, just the time it takes to un-ravel the wool and washing it. And at the end of your time and effort of re-knitting or crochet you've got another garment to show for it and its a great feeling to know that you've made something and to have not wasted any of the wool. And any left over odd-balls of wool can be used for colour knitting or crochet or made into blankets/throws.

Both of these blankets/throws below are made from un-raveled cardis or left over odd balls of wool. My grandchildren get these out when they have their picnic in the lounge of a Saturday evening which i've mentioned before.

I made these doillies below too...

This is the back of the cardi i am knitting at the moment, i don't know if you can see the pattern on it, its in a cable stitch...

I hav'nt heard from my son since last Tuesday or from my daughter for a week. "?" and i will be picking "ST" up tomorrow for the weekend. I hav'nt seen aunt "D" for a few weeks, i will let her know that i will be over next weekend. I spoke to her on the phone and she is ok as far as i know. Well thats all for now, Best wishes to one and all...

... Astra!

 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol Ihave done all that Astra ,I even went to jumble sales to look for suitable woolies to pull down and reknit ,when my kids were small ,I like the cable and your doilies are lovely ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Those throws are beautiful, and you reused the wool, I would have never thought of such a thing....
Have a great weekend!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Astra I have helped my Mother many yrs back do all this and more.The little doilies were very popular and I even made a few myself yrs ago.I can remember the treble stitch in crotchet was that to make the shell shapes? but I think thats about all now.Though having said that if I attempted it I think it would probably all come back to me.Oh how I used to hate if I came across a knot in the wool when winding back from an old garment.LOL!!Have a lovely weekend.Kath
Astoriaand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

You are clever making all those things...especially the doilies! I have never been able to knot or crochet well. Nothing I made ever fitted! Love Conniex

Anonymous said...

How beautiful those all are! You are so talented! :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I love the blankets!  Soooo pretty. : )  love, Shelly